This auction is closed.
The bookcase purge for charity continues! You can see a complete list of all auctions here, in chronological order starting with the latest, here. Full auction details are included at the end of the article, but to bring the new folks up to speed real quick:
Every weekday until Friday, June 5th, we publish a new Shelf Bound article announcing a bind or bound set up for auction.
Each bind auction’s bidding starts when its article is published and ends 72 hours later, so today’s auction will close at 4 PM EST on June 6, 2020.
Bids must be posted in an item’s comment section to be considered for that item; highest bid posted before close of auction wins.
Bids from outside the U.S. are welcome, although shipping outside the U.S. may incur additional fee. Bids posted in currencies other than US dollars will be valued at their USD equivalent.
The winning bidder emails me (greg at multiversity comics dot com) to verify donation particulars, then makes the donation and send me verification.
UPDATE: Matt Wieringo contacted me after the start of the auction and said he feels Mike would think Black Lives Matter could use the money more, so the proceeds from this will go to one of the organizations listed here (winner’s choice).
I send out the bind.
30 weekdays. 34 binds. All proceeds going to charity. Sound good? Let’s get to it!
THE FLASH BY MARK WAID
Written by: Mark Waid
Drawn by: Greg LaRocque, Mike Wieringo, Mark Bright, Salvador Larocca, Mike Parobeck, Gil Kane, Carmine Infantino
Inked by: Jose Marzan, Jr., Roy Richardson
Colored by: Tom McCraw, Glen Whitmore, Matt Hollingsworth
Lettered by: Gaspar Saladino, Tim Harkins
Published by: DC Comics
- Flash #0, 62-100 (May 1992 – Apr 1995)
- Flash Annual #4-6 (Jan 1991 – Jan 1993)
- Flash 50th Anniversary Special OS (May 1990)
- The Life Story of the Flash OGN (Dec 1997)
- Green Lantern #30-31 (Oct 1992)
Additional Material: Mike Wieringo sketch gallery
- Oversewn binding
- Red Flare Arrestox cover material
- Red/white headbands
- DC, FLASH TITLE, and FLASH LOGO stamps used
- White endpapers
- Page edges trimmed
Signatures: Waid, LaRocque
Coming into the home stretch with this two-book set of Mark Waid’s Flash run, specifically the first big chunk of issues. We have Greg LaRocque’s underrated run that originated with previous writer Bill Messner-Loebs in volume one, and Mike Wieringo’s run in volume two.
Both books have this front FLASH stamping in addition to the spine stamps.
The two Green Lantern issues included are for the “Gorilla Warfare” crossover. Unfortunately, I didn’t find out about the “Return of Barry Allen” tie-in issue until after I had the bind made. It was a stealth tie-in, and nothing happens that isn’t referenced or recapped in Flash #78, but still . . .
Without spoiling the ending of “Return” (even though it’s almost 20 years old at this point, if you don’t know the ending going in, hoo boy!), the Life Story of the Flash is an important part of the story. Even though it was published almost 5 years later, I thought having it show up at the end of the “Return”, and much closer to its actual appearance in the comics, would make for a more interesting read.
Book two kicks off with Mike Wieringo’s run, bringing us, among other things . . .
. . . the introduction of Bart Allen, aka Impulse . . .
. . . and Flash #0, tying into the Zero Hour event. These oneshots were fairly successful in getting new readers up to speed on each book, and this one is no exception. It also happens to be one of the best issues of Waid’s entire run, according to the writer.
The second book ends with a little Wieringo tribute gallery I put together from images online. . .
. . . with a text piece pulled from the excellent Flash Companion from Twomorrows.Continued below
Finally, both of the books are signed by Mark Waid . . .
. . . but book one has this (I hesitate to say ‘sketch’ so let’s go with) drawing by Greg LaRocque.
So you COULD take the time & effort to track down all the original issues and turn them into your own book via a binder using the techniques & approaches we cover every month in Shelf Bound . . .
You could bid on the bind we’re auctioning today, get the benefit of someone else doing all that work for you, AND do some good for the comics community we all love in the process!
Starting Bid: $50
Auction Ends: June 6, 2020 at 4 pm
Proceeds Benefit: One of the organizations supported by BLM listed here (winner’s choice).
AUCTION FINE PRINT
- This auction ends 72 hours after the date & time of this article’s posting.
- Bids MUST be placed as comments below to be valid.
- Bids order is set by the timestamp given by Disqus. I subscribe to every comment section and receive an email notification simultaneous to the posting of every new comment. That email’s timestamp is what I use to determine bid order & the final bid cutoff time.
- Bids placed anywhere other than the auction article’s comment section (i.e. replying to the announcement tweet) will be ignored.
- Bids posted in currencies other than US dollars will be valued at their USD equivalent.
- Highest bid posted before the end of the auction wins. The winning bidder has 24 hours to contact me via twitter or email (see below) to set up payment. If contact is not made in this timeframe, the winning bid is invalidated and the next highest bid will be the winner.
- Winning bidder will make the donation in the amount of the winning bid to the agreed-upon charity. Upon successful donation and receipt of receipt (hehe) by me, the bind will be mailed out via Media Mail on the following Saturday unless an alternate schedule is agreed upon by all parties.
- Feel free to post any additional questions you may have prior to the end of the auction below; I will do my best to answer them ASAP. Additional and/or specific pictures of the bind are available on request.
- Thanks in advance to anyone bidding on these binds. Good luck!