As the question of what exactly was going to happen to the DC Universe after the “Convergence” event in April and May (will it reboot? will it stay the same? will it blend? who knows!) was on everyone’s lips, it looks like we have an answer. Today, DC Comics has announced it’s full publishing for June 2015 and onwards and, boy. Is it a doozy.
First off, that New 52 branding? Gone. Skedaddle. You won’t be seeing that anymore. And a good thing too as DC hasn’t consistently publishing 52 ongoings in a month for a while and the only title to really promote that branding of late was “New 52: Future’s End”. So, with that, it looks like we’ll have to stop calling the current DC Universe the New 52 Universe and just call it the DC Universe. Now, that may have been a problem for some if we were still in the early, rather rocky days of the New 52 when DC were still trying to find their footing and stuff like “Savage Hawkman” was a thing.
But along with the announcement that DC are ditching the New 52 branding came the announcement that DC will be publishing 24 news series in June along with a retooling of 25 ongoing series that will survive “Convergence”. So far, only 18 of the new series have been announced, through CBR and IGN, so it’s likely the rest will be announce somewhere throughout the day. First, however, is the announcement of DC’s Free Comic Book Day offering, which will lead into this restructuring initiative. Titled “DC: Divergence” (the cover is up top), the issue will offer an eight page preview for “Batman” by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo, “Superman” by new writer Gene Luen Yang and remaining artist John Romita Jr. and “Justice League” by Geoff Johns and Jason Fabok as they kick off the “Darkseid War”.
Now, what are those new titles, you may ask? Well, they’re all down below. And there are some great surprises down there.
Announced via IGN:
- Batman Beyond by writer Dan Jurgens & artist Bernard Chang
- Cyborg by writer David L. Walker & artists Ivan Reis and Joe Prado
- Dark Universe by writer James Tynion IV & artist Ming Doyle
- Doomed by writer Scott Lobdell & artist Javier Fernandez
- Harley Quinn/Power Girl by writers Jimmy Palmiotti, Amanda Conner & artist Stephane Roux (4 issue miniseries)
- Red Hood/Arsenal by writer Scott Lobdell & artist Denis Medri
- Starfire by writers Jimmy Palmiotti, Amanda Conner & artist Emanuela Lupacchino
- We Are Robin by writer Lee Bermejo & artists Rob Haynes and Khary Randolph
Announced via CBR:
- Justice League of America by writer/artist Bryan Hitch
- Bizzaro by writer Heath Corson & artist Gustavo Duarte (6 issue mini-series)
- Bat-Mite by writer Mark Russell & artist Ben Caldwell (6 issue mini-series)
- Black Canary by writer Brenden Fletcher & artist Annie Wu and Irene Koh
- Constantine: The Hellblazer by writer Ming Doyle & artist Riley Rossmo
- Dr. Fate by writer Paul Levitz & artist Sonny Liew
- Earth 2: Society by writers Daniel Wilson & artist Jorge Jimenez
- Green Lantern: Lost Army by writer Cullen Bunn & artists Jesus Saiz and Javi Pina
- Justice League 3001 by writer Keith Giffen and artist Howard Porter
- Martian Manhunter by writer Rob Williams and artist Ben Oliver
- Midnighter by writer Steve Orlando and artist ACO
- Mystic U (tentative title) by writer Alisa Kwitney & artist Mauricet
- Omega Men by writer Tom King & artist Barnaby Bagenda
- Prez by writer Mark Russell and artist Ben Caldwell
- Robin, Son of Batman by writer/artist Patrick Gleason
- Section Eight by writer Garth Ennis & artist John McCrea
And, last but not least, these are the ongoing titles that survived:
- Action Comics by writer Greg Pak & artist Aaron Kuder
- Aquaman by writer Cullen Bunn & artist Trevor McCarthy
- Batgirl by writers Cameron Stewart, Brenden Fletcher & artist Babs Tarr
- Batman by writer Scott Snyder & artist Greg Capullo
- Detective Comics by Brian Buccelato & artist Francis Manapul
- Batman/Superman by writer Greg Pak & artist Ardian Syaf
- Catwoman by writer Genevieve Valentine & artist David Messina
- Deathstroke by writer Tony Daniel & artist Tony Daniel Continued below
- Flash by writers Rob Venditti, Van Jensen & artist Brett Booth
- Gotham Academy by writers Becky Cloonan, Brenden Fletcher & artist Karl Kerschl
- Gotham By Midnight by writer Ray Fawkes & artist Juan Ferreyra
- Grayson by writers Tim King, Tim Seeley & artist Mikel Janin
- Green Arrow by writer Ben Percy & artist Richard Zircher
- Green Lantern by writer Robert Venditti & artist Billy Tan
- Harley Quinn by writers Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiotti & artist Chad Hardin
- Justice League by writer Geoff Johns & artist Jason Fabok
- Justice League United by writer TBD & artists Travel Foreman, Paul Pelletier
- Lobo by writer Cullen Bunn & artist Cliff Richards
- Secret Six by writer Gail Simone & artist Dale Eaglesham
- Sinestro by writer Cullen Bunn & artist Brad Walker
- New Suicide Squad by writer Sean Ryan & artist Carlos D’Anda
- Superman by writer Gene Luen Yang & artist John Romita, Jr.
- Superman/Wonder Woman by writer Peter Tomasi & artist Doug Mahnke
- Teen Titans by writer Will Pfeifer & artist Kenneth Rodafort
- Wonder Woman by writer Meridith Finch & artist David Finch
How’s that for a restructuring, huh?
Check back here throughout the day as we update this article with any and all new titles announced to be coming from DC in June.