Welcome back to The Rundown, our daily breakdown on comic news stories we missed from the previous day. Have a link to share? Email our team at email@example.com.
– Another trailer for Lionsgate’s Power Rangers debuted today featuring the first clear look at Bryan Cranston’s Zordon, Elizabeth Banks’s Rita, the Zords, Goldar, and the Rangers’ Zords Megazord form in action. The film opens in theatres on March 24.
– Marvel and Fox also dropped two new trailers for Logan, a regular trailer, and a red band one. The trailers continue to flesh out Logan’s new relationship with X-23, a child who in the comics is cloned from Wolverine’s genes maintaining some of his powers. In the trailer, she also gets in on the fighting as well as Wolverine. Logan stars Hugh Jackman in his ninth, and reported final appearance as Wolverine, and Patrick Stewart as Professor X. It arrives in theatres March 3.
– Not to be outdone, DC Entertainment and New Line via The Hollywood Reporter announced that they are developing a Black Adam movie with Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson attached to star. Johnson, who reportedly met with DC Films co-head and writer Geoff Johns last week, has reached a new level of fame since being cast as Black Adam back in 2008 for the still in development Shazam! movie. Both films currently have no release date.
– Also in DC movie news, the animated adaption of the popular Teen Titans storyline ‘The Judas Contract’ added two new cast members today. Miguel Ferrer, will voice Deathstroke, while Christina Ricci, in her first superhero-related project will voice Terra. Teen Titans: The Judas Contract is due out later this year. Sadly, within hours of this casting news breaking, it was announced that Miguel Ferrer has passed away from cancer at the age of 61. Ferrer will be remembered for his roles in Robocop, Twin Peaks, and Crossing Jordan, as well as voicing Vandal Savage in Young Justice, Sinestro in The Batman, and Aquaman and Weather Wizard in Superman: The Animated Series.
– The plot thickened in the ongoing struggle to make Hellboy III a reality last night when director Guillermo del Toro hosted a Twitter poll announcing that he would sit down with Hellboy and Hellboy II: The Golden Army star Ron Perlman and creator Mike Mignola if the poll generated over 100,000 responses in 24 hours. Garnering over 130,000 responses, del Toro tweeted he spoke with Perlman about a sit-down, and was going to Mignola next. Perhaps that trilogy will finally happen!
– Diamond Comics Distributors announced the winners of their 2016 Gem Award Winners today. Highlights include DC Entertainment receiving Publisher of the Year Over 4%, and “DC Universe: Rebirth” #1 winning 2016 Comic Book of the Year Under $3.00. Marvel Comics’ “Civil War II” #1 was the Top Dollar Comic Book of 2016.