Welcome back to The Rundown, our daily breakdown on comic news stories we missed from the previous day. Have a link to share? Email our team at email@example.com.
In case you missed it, comiXology Originals announced two new original series, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is ending with season 7, Dark Horse Comics announced “Hitman for Hire,” and IDW announced “Star Trek: Voyager – Mirrors and Smoke,” as well as “ROM: Dire Wraiths.”
– MidBoss has partnered with IDW publishing to announce a comic book series focused on expanding the universe of the video game 2064: Read Only Memories. The series will be written by Sina Grace (“Iceman”) and illustrated by Stefano Simeone (“Wyrd”), and is set to begin December 2019.
– IDW Publishing celebrated their 20th anniversary at San Diego Comic-Con with a panel chock full of announcements and new releases, including:
- An Addams Family movie tie-in one-shot from Zoe Quinn (“Goddess Mode”) and Phillip Murphy (“Star Trek vs. Transformers”) called “The Addams Family: The Bodies Issue.” The comic focuses on Wednesday Addams and is planned for release on October 11 – the same day as the upcoming animated film.
- An Ian Flynn-helmed mini-series called “Tangle & Whisper,” about the titular IDW original “Sonic the Hedgehog” characters.
- A new series from Tim Seeley and Meredith Laxton called “The Crow: Hark the Herald.”
- A new “Locke & Key” story called “Locke & Key: Nailed It.”
Lastly, IDW announced a number of arcs for their anthology title “Transformers: Galaxies,” with creative teams consisting of Kate Leth and Cohen Edenfield, Sam Maggs, and Brandon Easton.
– Pure Imagination Studios have teamed with POW! Entertainment for an animated project about the late Stan Lee. The Amazing Stan re-envisions the comic-creator as a modern-day young person and examines how the world would look through his eyes.
– Dark Horse Comics announced a new one-shot comic for “The Umbrella Academy,” as well as some new merchandise. The comic, called “Hazel and Cha Cha Save Christmas: Tales from the Umbrella Academy,” follows the two assassins as they track down a rogue time agent, and cross paths with a plot to discredit Christmas. The 32-page one-shot is set for release on November 20, 2019. The merchandise announced includes new pint glasses, mugs, and clothing.
– At the 20th anniversary panel for Batman Beyond, the show’s creators and stars gathered to reminisce about the show and announced a new, fully-remastered Blu-ray box set of the series. The box set will include all of the original 52 episodes, the Return of the Joker animated film, and plenty of bonus features. The collection will be available for purchase digitally on October 15th and on Blu-Ray October 29th.
– Finally, unfortunately, production has been shut down on the set of DC Universe’s Titans after a crew member was killed accidentally at a special effects facility. Warren Appleby, the show’s special effects coordinator, was killed “after an accident which occurred at a special effects facility during the preparation and testing for an upcoming shoot,” according to the show’s executive producers. Appleby had worked in the industry since the mid-1990s on projects including The Shape of Water, Crash, and Transporter: The Series.