Welcome back to The Rundown, our daily breakdown on comic news stories we missed from the previous day. Have a link to share? Email our team at email@example.com.
– The first issue of “Man Without Fear” hits shelves January 2, but Daredevil fans can see all five covers, featuring the art of Kyle Hotz, now. The weekly series, written by Jed MacKay with art by Danilo Beyrut, follows the aftermath of Charles Soule’s final “Daredevil” arc, ‘The Death of Daredevil,’ which concludes later this month.
– And if you’re looking for more cover art reveals, head on over to The Beat to check out “Manfried Saves The Day.” Set to release in May, this is the second print installment of the popular Tumblr series by Caitlin Major and Kelly Barstow, which imagines a world where the roles of humans and cats are reversed, and Manfried the Man is the tiny pet of Steve the Cat.
– Cartoonist Matt Bors, the editor-in-chief of The Nib, was briefly suspended from Twitter last night. Bors’s account was reinstated after deleting a tweet posted before the mid-term elections, which read, “Reminder for tomorrow: PLEASE don’t take your antifa super soldier serum until ten minutes before polls open. You will NOT be at full strength to lop off the heads of whites if you dose early. We want beautiful clean separations, people.” Bors stated Twitter claimed they suspended him over an avatar depicting him with a verified checkmark. “I had the check mark avatar for six years (RIP) and they claimed it violated checkmark integrity the same day I am mass reported by Maga chuds for my edgy #freespeech,” he noted.
– VIZ announced Dragon Quest Illustrations: 30th Anniversary Edition featuring the artwork of Akira Toriyama (“Dragon Ball”). Available December 12, this print-only, hardcover edition includes over 500 illustrations from the Dragon Quest video games, including a fold-out poster of the Dragon Quest timeline.
– CUNY School of Law’s Center for Urban Environmental Reform is tackling the Freedom of Information Act with a new graphic novel. The latest installment in the Center’s comic series, “Mayah’s Lot,” ‘What is the Freedom of Information Act… or FOIA!?’ is geared towards educating teens on how to access data and reports through FOIA requests.
– Bad news for Eggsy fans: Taron Egerton confirmed that he won’t be reprising his role as Gary “Eggsy” Unwin in Kingsman 3. Luckily, according to Egerton, that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s out of the franchise forever. Kingsman 3, a prequel set in the early 1900s, will be released on November 9, 2019.
– Netflix announced five anime Originals, including Trese, a supernatural crime series based on a Philippine comic of the same name by Budjette Tan and Kajo Baldissimo, and an adaptation of Kachou Hashimoto’s manga “Cagaster of an Insect Cage.” The other projects are Yasuke (featuring the historical figure who inspired “Afro Samurai”), and adaptations of Pacific Rim and Altered Carbon.
– Industrial Light & Magic is launching a new television unit. ILM TV’s first projects will be the previously announced The Mandalorian, a live-action series based in the Star Wars universe, and Krypton, the Superman prequel series.
– Finally, Henderson Wade (Riverdale, Extant) is joining the cast of Swamp Thing as series regular Matt Cable. Premiering in 2019, Swamp Thing will be part of the core original programming from the just launched subscription streaming site DC Universe.