Welcome back to The Rundown, our daily breakdown on comic news stories we missed from the previous day. Have a link to share? Email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
– Marvel has found a new actor to play Wolverine . . . in a podcast. Wolverine: The Long Night is a 10-episode scripted podcast that will debut on Stitcher Premium in Spring 2018, before coming to other podcast platforms in the Fall. The Hobbit actor (and eerily Hugh Jackman-looking) Richard Armitage will voice the character. Writer Ben Percy says the story will blend true crime podcasts Serial and S-Town, and True Detective, with “a dash” of Unforgiven. It centers around a freshly mind-wiped Logan, as he’s being investigated for a series of murders in a small Alaskan town. The podcast is part of it’s own continuity, and Percy hinted that more could be coming in the “Marvel Podcast Universe.”
– The comic strip “Baldo” revealed this week that Cruz, a major character in the series, is a Dreamer. People brought to the U.S. illegally as children, and protected by the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program (DACA) are commonly referred to as Dreamers. Creators Hector Cantú and Carlos Castellanos included the immigration politics as a way to highlight issues that almost 800,000 people are facing, as their future in the U.S. is uncertain. “Baldo” was started in 2000 and now runs in about 200 newspapers.
– The manga “My Brother’s Husband” is getting a three-episode live action television adaptation on NHK’s BS Premium. The manga is about Yaichi, a single father, who’s deceased twin brother’s husband shows up unannounced, and forces Yaichi to come to terms with the tensions between him and his brother. Ryuta Sato will star as Yaichi, with former sumo wrestler Baruto Kaito playing Mike, Yaichi’s brother-in-law. The show will air in March 2018.
– Fox has debuted the first poster for their upcoming X-Men horror film, The New Mutants. The poster definitely looks like it fits the genre, and visually alludes to Nightmare on Elm Street. The film’s Twitter account also seems to be teasing Demon Bear as the villain. The New Mutants is directed by Josh Boone, and stars Anya Taylor-Joy, Charlie Heaton, and Maise Williams. It premieres on April 13, 2018.
– AfterShock Comics announced a new series from writers Zac Thompson & Donny Cates, with Andy Clarke on art. “Relay” is based on the Philip K. Dick short story, “Souvenir.” It takes place in a future utopian society where a machine controls everything, including thought and culture. The series debuts in July 2018.
– “Guardians of the Galaxy” writer Gerry Duggan announced that the series is being canceled with January’s #150, but only because a bigger story is in the works. There are a couple books branded with ‘Infinity Countdown’ in February, and it looks like that is leading into whatever Duggan has planned.
– There may not ever be a Nightwing film in the DCEU, but if there is, Nick Jonas wouldn’t mind taking the role. While doing press for Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, the actor was asked about fans campaigning for him to play Dick Grayson, and Jonas responded positively to the idea, saying he would be “super down” for it.
-And in some real casting news, Star Trek: Into Darkness actress Alice Eve has joined the cast of Iron Fist Season 2. Her role is unknown at this point.