Welcome back to The Rundown, our daily breakdown on comic news stories we missed from the previous day. Have a link to share? Email our team at either email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
– The as-yet unnamed Arrow/The Flash spinoff show just got a whole lot more exciting, as two classic DC characters have been cast: Hawkgirl and Rip Hunter. Ciara Renée, an actress best known for her Broadway work, has been cast as the reincarnated Thangarian – although which iteration of Hawkgirl she will be playing has not yet been announced. If I had to guess, it would be Kendra Saunders, especially as Renée bears a resemblance to the recent “Earth 2” version.
Arthur Darvill – a veteran of Doctor Who and Broadchurch – has been cast as Rip Hunter on the show. The cast of the show includes quite the mix of DC characters – in addition to Hunter and Hawkgirl, the show also will feature Martin Stein, Black Canary, Captain Cold, and Heatwave.
– Get your engines revved, folks: Adam West and Burt Ward will be doing the voices for a 50th anniversary Batman ’66 animated film. Teased, also, was a second film, but that was qualified with the statement that Ward and West may not do voices for the second one.
– Sixteen seconds of Fear the Walking Dead has been released and…well, it looks like sixteen seconds of a Walking Dead spinoff.
– You can exhale, racists: just because Miles Morales is joining the 616, that doesn’t mean that Peter Parker is going anyplace.
– Two new actors have joined Suicide Squad: Scott “Son of Clint” Eastwood and Raymond “Professional Boxer” Olubowale have been cast in unannounced roles.
– Daniel Cerone, executive producer of Constantine has announced that the writing staff/production team has pitched season 2 ideas to NBC/Universal, and that their fate will be decided somewhere around the end of April.
– “S.W.O.R.D.” – one of the most beloved comics among early Multiversity staffers – is sort of returning, thanks to the leading provider of sort of returning comics, “Secret Wars.” “Siege,” written by “S.W.O.R.D.” writer Kieron Gillen and illustrated by Filipe Andrade, featuring characters from Gillen’s comic, has no announced release date.
– Deadpool adds another cast member: Brianna Hildebrand, a total newcomer, will be playing the very minor character, created by Grant Morrison, titled Negasonic Teenage Warhead.
– Some sad news is out there today: the co-creator of Lobo, Roger Slifer, has passed away. R.I.P. Roger.
– And, finally, Bryan Singer has teased the return of another X-cast member in the upcoming X-Men: Apocalypse, in some Instagram’d out concept art: what’s up, Angel?