Welcome back to The Rundown, our daily breakdown on comic news stories we missed from the previous day. Have a link to share? Email our team at email@example.com.
– Constantine star Matt Ryan confirmed on Twitter that the titular role on his now-cancelled show will make an appearance on the upcoming season of Arrow. And NBC’s new series The Player, weirdly enough. He’s TV’s new John Munch.
– On a Reddit AMA this Monday, Ronda Rousey expressed an interest in playing Miss Marvel, or Captain Marvel as she’ll be called in the 2017 film of the same name. Or she wants to play Kamala Khan which would be, uh, problematic. Honestly, I’d pay four separate Netflix subscriptions to see her team up with Jon Bernthal’s Punisher as Rachel Cole-Alves. Just have her throw her guns out a window and throw everyone onscreen into an armbar.
– Here’s your first glimpse at Teddy Sears as the Golden Age Flash Jay Garrick on the second season of Flash. Also, that first look is a straight up homage to “Flash of Two Worlds.” Unreal. Some are speculating that this could lead towards the CWDCUniverse or whatever we’re calling it to establish its own Justice Society of America. Such rumors are completely unfounded at this point, but my calendar is clear for 2018 if The CW needs anyone to play Jack Knight.
– Speaking of Arrow and fighting, Stephen Amell will appear in a tag team match at the upcoming Summerslam PPV with Adrian Neville against Stardust and King Barrett. Look at the picture of him on WWE’s website. Dude signed up for the wrong thing. In case you don’t know, Adrian Neville is a high-flyer who got lost on his quest to destroy the One Ring and became a wrestler. Stardust is the son of the recently deceased Dusty Rhodes and Mister Sinister after he got a bucket of glitter dumped on him. King Barrett is what would happen if King Friday from Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood couldn’t wrestle.
– While we won’t link to any of them, several TV pilots for the fall have reportedly leaked across the internet. So if you want to find out if Lucifer involves any surprise confrontations with wispy white dudes who look suspiciously like Neil Gaiman, now’s the time.
– While Fant4stic hasn’t been doing so hot in reviews or in the box office or anywhere, at least it wasn’t bad as Tobias Fünke’s musical recreation of the original 90’s film on Arrested Development. So naturally someone made a mash-up. Negative points for Josh Trank’s version of the Thing not having any shorts to effectively hide his thunder.
– There’s a new trailer for the much maligned Jem and the Holograms film and I have no clue what’s going on. Before it was a typical teen rocker fick which, while kind of boring, was borderline acceptable. Now it’s the same exact tween movie but with Jem’s dad having created a robot which plays back videos of him before his mysterious death. And it sticks out like a huge sore thumb in the trailer. You can’t make a movie about teen rockstars, throw in an android, and then go right back to complaining about contract signings while a handsome white guy some producer found on a beach mansplains what family is about to the girl who already has an android broadcasting her filmed daddy issues in front of all her friends. The third trailer should be the exact same thing but with a kaiju that shows up for four seconds and is never addressed again. The fourth trailer should be Tobias Fünke convincing Jem to join the Blue Man Group.
– The Hollywood Reporter, uh, reports that Tom Hardy’s production company is looking into producing an adaptation of the Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso’s “100 Bullets”. I don’t even have a snarky bit for that. This should be great.
– Ever wonder why The Walking Dead always seem to take place in the dead of summer? Are they on the same season cycle as Westeros? Is Alabama just really like that? Well showrunner Scott A. Kimple told Entertainment Weekly that the show’s shooting schedule prevents things from getting too wintry. So they can either stay with the show’s established aesthetic and make it seem like the show takes place over the course of two weeks in JAugust or do an inauthentic winter set. Honestly, all they’d need to do is throw some Christmas lights on a walker and call it a day.