Welcome back to The Rundown, our daily breakdown on comic news stories we missed from the previous day. Have a link to share? Email our team at email@example.com.
– Following up on an earlier Rundown piece, DC comics will be running half-page ads in at least their post-Convergence #1 issues. Chris Burnham posted photos of the ad on Twitter (update: or at least he did until they were deleted. Thanks to The Outhousers for grabbing screenshots before they were pulled.) It is interesting to notice that this really isn’t all that different from having a full-page ad adjacent to a story page; your eye will still register the incongruity of the ad versus story. But moving that ad onto the actual story page might be the bridge too far in this case. Also, Nick Lachey? Really?
– Denver Comic Con authorized a panel at their show last weekend about Women in Comics that, surprisingly, included no women on the panel. This happened despite the fact there were plenty of obvious panelist choices among the con guests. Thankfully (although sadly that it came to this), the actual women in comics decided this needed to be rectified; not at the next Denver show, or at the next show anywhere, but at THAT show. Hannah Means-Shannon has a great write-up (and audio) from the flash-panel that included her, Crystal Skillman, Trina Robbins, Amanda Conner, Marguerite Bennett, Meghan Hetrick, Joëlle Jones, and Emily Singer. The piece does talks about how DCC was helpful in correcting their unintended slight, but also about how important it is for women creators to be proactive in making sure that no opportunities are missed in getting their voices heard. Good job, ladies!
– It seems like every Humble Bundle I hear about is the Humble Bundle to end all Humble Bundles, but this new Humble Bundle from IDW/Top Shelf from now until June 10th might be, if not the Humble Bundle to end all Humble Bundles, then at least the Humble Bundle to beat in terms of quality comic Humble Bundles. (Humble Bundle.) Moore/O’Neill “League of Extraordinary Gentlemen”! Cooke “Parker”! Lewis/Powell/Aydin “March”! Liz Prince! Jess Fink! Hill/Rodriguez “Locke & Key”! Pay what you want! DRM-free! For charity!
– Speaking of “League”, it looks like Fox is eyeing a League of Extraordinary Gentleman reboot (or LXG reboot, for the people Fox Marketing thought weren’t smart enough to remember all those other letters). No matter how that effort turns out, it’ll never top the first’s achievement of being the film that killed Sean Connery’s career.
– As opposed to an Unbreakable sequel, which director M. Night Shyamalan still wants to bring to the screen. Any screen, large or small. Or page. That would work too. Although someone should tell him that Samuel L. Jackson’s already got his comic movie fix locked down at this point.
– For those of you who couldn’t get enough Kung Fury from the initial trailer, the full 30-minute short is now online! All the kung fu, 80’s cop film, time-traveling, dinosaur, viking, Kung Fuhrer action you’ve been waiting for is now here!
– From the alternate 80’s to the future we’re all living in, we can now apparently use replicators (or 3D printers, as they’re calling them for some reason) to print functioning Wolverine-style claws. Unembedded at this point, but still probably safer than the last pair of these I saw…